Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Looking Towards The Future...

Former Senator & Lawyer Slade Gorton


Life isn't fair. It isn't fair that my favorite sports team is moving to a state I have no intention of ever visiting. It isn't fair that our team was purchased by a coffee magnet under false pretenses. And it isn't fair that the NBA Commissioner is letting opinion influence his job. 

Slade Gorton, a former Senator and proud Seattle politician, is charged with defending the City of Seattle in its lawsuit against Clay Bennett. Stern has called Gorton's defending the city many things, claiming that the former Senator would like to "exact whatever pound of flesh is possible". To me, that doesn't sound like an unbiased committee leader. But then again, life isn't fair.

Looking towards the future, the Sonics won't be in Seattle. Will they be in Oklahoma? Maybe the name won't go with the roster and coaching staff, but when I watch games, I'll recognize the faces. Slade Gorton and Mayor Nickels both want to have professional basketball in Seattle. To do so will require Key Arena renovations, we've heard this time and time again. According the Gorton, had renovation plans been set "last week, in my view we'd either have kept the Sonics or gotten assurance of another team."

So I think you can see why Senators Murray & Cantwell are making us Sonics fans a little angry. Spend less time preaching on your soapbox and more time making changes that you talk about. I spent the majority of this blog hopeful that the Sonics would stay in their home. There is no longer any sense of hope, and the words "life isn't fair" have never sounded truer. Will Seattle get a new NBA team? Maybe. Will I love them like the Sonics? Well, I think you know that answer to that...

No comments: