Thursday, March 6, 2008

Oh To Be A Public Figure...


Howard, you really like to appear larger than life don't you? I've taken the following quote from Schultz's "Transformation Agenda Communication #8". This information is available freely on the Starbucks website. It's basically Shultz's opportunity to hop onto the soapbox and become the rockstar frontman for his company. It's not a bad idea for Schultz to address his consumers directly, and I would never attack him for only that. In fact, I'm a huge fan of his "Agendas" because they provide me with ample material by which I can disprove Shultz as the infallible leader he wants us to buy into. I quote:

"We are Starbucks. We should be incredibly proud of what we have built... Believe me when I tell you, we are just getting started. We will overcome the difficult and humbling challenges we fact, and will be stronger for it. You have my word on that."

Now, let us compare Schultz's recent Starbucks post with some choice words he gave during a fan interview after purchasing the team in 2001.

"I'd like to speak to our Seattle-based fans and our community... From my heart, we believe very strongly that we have to earn our fans' love and respect... You have to do that by playing hard and giving back to the community. I think we've made significant leaps, and we've brought back great Sonics basketball to Seattle. And I think we'll make Seattle fans very proud."

Schultz's decision to sell the team not only contradicts his attempt to lure Sonics fans into his web in 2001, but also his recent Starbucks Agenda. Selling the team isn't in line with overcoming "the difficult and humbling challenges", and it certainly isn't going to earn the love and respect of Seattle Sonics fans. In my opinion, you care little about the Sonics, or even great coffee. You have one love, and that is money. Money is at the root of all your decisions, and when it didn't make perfect financial sense to keep the team, you jumped ship. You didn't overcome the challenges, you ran away from them. How do you explain the disparity between what you say you'll do, and what you actually follow through on? I'd love to hear from your side, because as of right now, I'm having trouble taking your "word". Feel free to post a comment below, Howard.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

You make a great point in the contradiction of Schultz's statements. Way to reveal his true agenda.